Tuesday, September 15, 2009

National Qualifiers - We can do better.

I recieved a letter from a long time club member and veteran triathlete - I think they raise a good point. We as a club could do a better job. Thank you.

"I have an observation/question. As one of the original members of this tri club back in 2003 my one singular complaint has been about the lack of awareness of local and out of town races, particularly for those that are qualifiers for national or international competition.

This weekend was another good example. There was a race a Lake Las Vegas (I think it was at least on the calendar) - one of Keith's Sunsetracing.com races that was a national qualifier for the Amica series in Phoenix in November.

In this case the top 10 from each age group could have competed in at least some sort of national championship. I don't recall seeing anything on the website and only saw a few triclub uniforms at the race.

I have competed in 2 World Ironman Championships, 2 Clearwater 70.3 Championships, 2 USAT National Championships and this year the World Age Group in Australia next month.

I doubt most club members even know how to go about qualifying. I feel more of a calling to increase the awareness of opportunities to members in the US and worldwide, both individually and as a tri club team.

I never did understand why we had the Club National Championships in our home last year and we apparently didn't register as a team?

As a fellow national and world traveler I am sure you can appreciate the experience these opportunities provide for the individuals and team. Thanks for letting me voice my opinion and let me know how I can help."

No comments: