Thursday, October 9, 2008

Las Vegas Triathlon - a first: Jade Bailey


It all started when I was having problems motivating myself to work out and had gained a few unwelcome pounds. One of my good girlfriends, Melissa Page, had done one sprint distance triathlon and raved about it. I clearly remember hanging out with her the day she finished and being inspired to hear her talk about it and seem so fulfilled to have completed a triathlon.

(My friend Melissa)

As a general life overachiever, I set a goal and then relentlessly pursue it. Having trouble working out? Sign up for a triathlon! Sprint distance, let’s not get crazy here. That is a great goal to work for I thought. Go big or go home. And you know what? Signing up for the race was the biggest blessing in disguise I could ever ask for because through it all I found something I love that is also a very positive outlet for my time. Training for it changed me permanently. Completing it made me realize I can do almost anything if I put my mind to it. Even better, finishing the race in less than 2 hours (my newbie goal) was one of the most satisfying moments of my life.

I ran into my friend Jenna Novotny at a PR industry party at Tao, told her about the triathlon, and was very happy when she signed up. We then proceeded to chat with some of the VIP hosts at Tao who all said they were doing the tri too. Yeah right, none of them did. But in their defense, the Tao Group just opened a new club which is clearly a time consuming endeavor. Melissa had already signed up for the tri so the three of us were good to go. Friends in tow, check. Next step? Training.

(Jenna)
My training consisted of endless spinning, and not nearly enough swimming and running but that came out fine in the end. Being cognizant to maintain work/workout/social life balance, I hardly ever worked out 6 days per week or 2 times per day. I learned to love spinning (after my butt stopped being sore) and had a great routine at 24 Hour Fitness. Moving from Summerlin to central Las Vegas put a monkey wrench in my gym routine but I discovered the amazing Saturday morning triathlon class at the LVAC on Karen. Swim, bike, run with a group and be done by 12 p.m.? Totally awesome, count me in! Consistent training was really difficult but in the end it was more than worth it.

A few days before the race I met fellow LV Tri Club member Victor Rodriguez, who was an absolute angel and answered my many pre-race questions. I have to credit him with some of my success because without him I wouldn’t have known to drink electrolyte laden water the night before (Elete baby!), eat breakfast the morning of, and to bring a colorful towel/balloon/sidewalk chalk to the transition area to help find your bike. All very important things that I would not have known otherwise.

Through it all I met really interesting people, made new friends (always a bonus), and most importantly learned about just what I can do if I put my mind to it. I’m still a total triathlon novice and will be for the next few races but I’m hooked on this and will be committed to successful races in the future. I have learned that running is my weakest activity and to help mitigate this I’ve signed up for Las Vegas ½ Marathon in December. I would love to join the running Elvi and run as Elvis but feel that could impede the race time. What do you think? See you at Lake Mead!

No comments: