Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Camp Pendleton II: by Bailey Sheridan


(Me , Chris, Nate, Samantha - The Crew)
Well, there are the races where we except calm oceans, cool weather and no wind, so we sign up for them. Then there are the races where we except huge waves, intense wind and hot weather and we may think twice about whether its worth it. On Saturday, August 9th I learned my lesson about expecting one thing and being given another!!

Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon was probably one of the most memorable tri's I have ever done. The course was beautiful, the weather nice (compared to this Vegas heat) and the wind wasn't too bad. However, I was not expecting those freaking huge waves!!! I thought they were supposed to be rolling small waves... but no... they were big... and scary!!!

Me, Nate, Sam, and Chris left for Camp Pendleton Friday morning with our hopes high!! We arrived in Oceanside around noon and went for a quick swim to stretch out our suits and get used to the water. The waves that day were pretty big... I mean for someone who mainly swims in Lake Mead!! However, they were not too powerful and it was fun to swim under them and mess around. All of us knew these waves were monsters compared to what we would have tomorrow. We all expected calm oceans on race day...

When we woke up Saturday I was prepared... I knew the swim would be awesome, I had the bike down and just had to get through the run. I was ready to give it my all, and I was determined to be 1st in my age group. We loaded the bikes and headed to the base where we proceeded through checkpoint after checkpoint until be got to the race area.

We all went to our areas and set up our transitions. Sam.. ending up with the best spot... right next to Michellie Jones!!! We were all standing around Sam when Michellie showed up and propped her bike next to Sam's. We said hello and then Sam turned to us saying, "You don't know how intimidated I am right now..." We laughed and Michelle just turned to us and said "Well, Good!"
(Sam's bike next to Michellie's)
After talking to Michellie we all walked down to the water to test it out. Holy shit... not what we had expected!! The waves were crashing and there was a big current pulling to the right. I didn't think much about it just that it was going to be a pain.

Chris was 1st to leave... after he ran in we splashed around and waited for our waves. Next thing I knew he was right behind me. He ended up having a panic attack and couldn't breath in the water. He was pulled out and was very disappointed. After I saw Chris I knew this wasn't going to be an easy swim.

Nate's wave was next and Sam's was after me. I just hoped that they would both be fine. After Nate left I lined up and waited nervously. Right when I heard "GO!" all fear left my body and I sprinted to the water. I just tried to swim as hard as I possibly could! Wave after wave I was pulled back. It was like swimming with someone holding your legs!! I have never felt so useless in a race! However, once I was passed the 1st buoy I knew I was good. The way in wasn't nearly as bad. Body surfing came into play!! Then once I hit sand I threw off my wetsuit and ran!!

My first transition was awesome.... I had been practicing it with my fabulous coach... Nate that is... and practice paid off, it was by far the fastest transition I have ever had!! The bike course was beautiful and fast. There was a few hills but nothing too bad... mainly steep but short hills!! As I neared the end of the bike course I got my feet out of my shoes and tried the running dismount I had been working on. It worked very well but hurt a little and was sloppy!! Oh well.... T2 was also very fast for me... thanks Nate!!... and I was off on the run...

The run was where things started to go downhill for me. I wanted to run a 9min mile for the run, but once I got to the top of the hill from transition, cramps set in!!! Not just any cramps either, these were cramps from hell. Damn salt water!! The first 2 miles consisted of me yelling at myself to go faster and how I wouldn't get 1st!! Then I finally said screw it and pushed myself to run in it. I got close to the finish and topped it off with a sprint in.

YEAH!!! It was over!! I had never won a race before and I was determined that this would be the one. And sure enough training paid off... #1 in 19and under age group!!! WHOOOOOO... and I actually beat people!! Usually I get defaulted #1 or something. I was ecstatic!!

They called my name and I got my award and hugged my awesome teammates and coach. Me and Nate finished the race, Nate missing top 10 in his group by 7sec!!!! Chris and Sam both called it at the swim but I was still proud of both of them for trying. I mean come on... they went into the water scared shitless and gave it all they had... what else could you ask for!!


(Me and Nate after the race!!)

This was a learning event for everyone. I now know never to underestimate Mother Nature and that I can push myself even harder than I thought!! This was a great race and I would recommend it to everyone!! Just beware of those waves!!
bailey

No comments: