Tuesday, July 15, 2008

On The Sideline: by Kay Klumpyan




To me the most dreaded part of a triathlon is getting out of my warm cozy bed in the wee hours of the morning and plummeting in to a cold, dark body of water. Even though I planned to partake in the San Diego International Triathlon due to a small mishap which involves a pinecone and a sprained ankle I went as spectator to cheer on my friends. As a spectator you still have to get up at the wee early hour, as your friends want you they’re with encouraging words, to carry their gear, or just to chat with them in line as they nervously wait for an open port-o-john. Then they are off racing and the spectator waits.


Everyone looks the same in the water unless you are lucky enough to have a friend such as I do with a funky swim stoke and you can identify them by that alone. One can also identify the well-seasoned athletes from the newbie’s by observing the water exit. Those gasping for air or struggling to get their wetsuits off are pinpointed as needing more training verses those that ease out of the water and swiftly transition unto land. After the girls made it to land, my only workout for the day began as I attempted to dash over to the bike exit to catch them coming out of T1 and start their ride. Now that they are on their bikes, I have time to kill.


Off to claim a spot on the bike route, eat my muffin and finish my coffee I can leisurely watch the bikers pump up the last hill to T2. To my surprise I saw several Las Vegas Tri suits buzz by, I would let out a “go Las Vegas” as it is hard to identify people by name disguised in their helmets and sunglasses. As a spectator you never really know how the athlete is doing out there, if they are having a good race, struggling or just taking a relaxed approach. But, as I wait and anticipate times, Monica comes by with a big smile, her first triathlon and by that smile I see that she loves the race. Jeanne has blood dripping down her leg, I can safely assume that she took a spill somewhere along the way, and Camthi has a very focused look, the concentration is intense.
Time for the last leg as a spectator, I am off to the finish line in the shuttle bus. Watching the athletes cross the finish line with mixed looks of both enthusiasm and exhaustion always gives me goose bumps. What an accomplishment after all that training, dedication and sometimes, self-deprivation of all those other things we could be doing or eating if we weren’t triathletes. I can finally regroup with the girls at the finish line, hearing the excitement in their voice as they chatter about their race, their goals, their endless effort and when they wanted to back off. I also had stories to tell as a spectator, all the quirky things you see when the athletes are out conquering the course.

Camthi - Monica - Jeanne

I am back on the shuttle bus to T1 and one never realizes how stinky one gets after racing until you are on a bus full of athletes who just gave 110% and you are one of few that did not break a sweat. My last duty as the only person with energy left is carrying all the excess gear back to the hotel as the girls peddle their bikes back. Now for the best part, beer and burgers, it still tastes great even as a spectator.

I dedicate this article to all the families and friends that give us support and are out there cheering us on as we are conquering the course and becoming victorious with our goals.