Thursday, June 12, 2008

Diamond Kids Triathlon Report - Dave Reichert



A note from the field…by the LV Tri Club VP Dave Reichert.

Saturday June 7th the fine people of Las Vegas Cyclery put on the Diamond Kids Triathlon. I was lucky enough to A. Dodge a Bullet at home (my wife was hosting a garage sale for 4 families at our house) and B. Load up my 11 month old son and take a scenic drive on a road that has been as source of some serious pain on my bicycle and head out to Blue Diamond.

When you drive into Blue Diamond you are about as far as you can get away from the strip in a literal sense. This is a small town nestled in the outskirts of the most notorious city in the US. It’s hard to find the sin in this city and it’s the perfect backdrop for the kind of emotions and experiences that are taking place in its pool and on its trails and streets this Saturday. Mother Nature pitched in with perfectly blue skies and mild temperatures.

I was late getting there and the race was in full force. As I pushed a stroller with my son piled in (just up from a nap) I could hear the announcer over the PA but drowning her out I could hear shouts of parents, friends and of course little kids having a blast! A local news anchor supplied the voice over the PA (didn’t catch her name) and a DJ was also playing music. The pool was empty, (did I mention I was late?) but the streets were filled with cyclists and runners.

Some of the kids were about as serious as athletes twice their age; others seemed to be like me enjoying a great Saturday morning having fun. I saw a couple walking behind their daughter who, by the way, was riding a tricycle. Other kids’ bicycles had tassels hanging off the handle bar grips. There were two volunteers assisting a rider that recently fallen. I saw and caught up to some friends whose kids were racing.



I had five ponies in this race. A niece, a nephew and three of my best friend’s kids were all racing today. I came to realize that I also knew 4 other kids that were racing when I saw them I shouted encouragement along with their parents. My son was mesmerized by all the bikes the loud noises and tons of kids having a great time. There were over 170 kids that raced Saturday. I think the entrants alone doubled the population for Blue Diamond that morning not to mention all the parents, friends and volunteers. It was hard to tell who was having the better time, the kids or the parents. I know I was having a pretty good time taking it all in.

So when I had to leave I was a little disappointed; Saturdays for me are work days. So on the drive back I took a little time to figure out what I enjoyed the most. I’ve always loved kids so that was easy. I thought the event was very well run and so I had to keep thinking. The conclusion that I came to was that I enjoyed the experience those kids were having the most.




Of the 9 kids I knew in the race 3 of them podium’d in their age group. One of them won his age group (get this; this was his first triathlon and he finished the short course in just over 16 minutes!). But he wasn’t my favorite story. My favorite story was his sister’s 3rd place finish. She is a beautiful swimmer and struggles with running and cycling. Her brother is a nationally ranked BMX rider (#1 in the nation last year for 5 year olds) and she, I feel, has always been a little overshadowed by his accomplishments. So when I saw her face as she finished her first triathlon it was a great reminder of why I love our sport. Just finishing is a major accomplishment. Top that off with a call from her Dad obviously BEAMING that she took 3rd in her age group and won a trophy; you just can’t help but feel your own pride of belonging to a sport that literally changes lives.

My hat’s off to the event organizers and to all the volunteers who made it possible for little kids to have a great story of how; before lunchtime, they had already swam, cycled and ran in race that boosts their self esteem and makes them stronger and healthier for the experience. Let’s see you do that with a video game!

2 comments:

Las Vegas Triathlon Club said...

Great Report Dave!

Stef0115 said...

So awesome I love it when kids are involved, whether in events or spectating. They are picking up good healthy habits left and right. My hat goes off to you and your kids!